Monday 6 October 2014

The Last of Summer

Nearly time to dig up the Dahlias.
 

Originally there were only 30 different types of Dahlia but that was back in 1615 when  Francisco Hernández de Torres first found them in Mexico.  Now there are thought to be over 57,000!


According to the experts you should dig up Dahlia tubers after they have been blackened by frost or by the end of October if the weather stays mild.  The soil should be carefully cleaned away and the tubers placed upside down to let moisture drain away. Store them in a dry, frost-free place. 


Next year I want a "hot" border with dark Dahlias, Cannas and Lucifer Crocosmia mingled with tall grasses. I have to move a couple of roses and a few lupins but the only other plants in the chosen spot are a dark red tree peony and a yucca so they can stay. I found these inspiration shots on Pinterest:





















I think I will aim for the orange/yellow combination.


My 92 year old mum is staying with us for a few days.  We visited Felley Priory yesterday where the Plant Heritage Rare Plant Fair was taking place.  Loved it!  Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera so you have to imagine the beautiful gardens with the plant stalls covering the front lawn; the gorgeous tea and cakes; the late summer sunshine and the cars full of colourful purchases.  
Mum bought a chrysanthemum the same colour as her outfit here.  I bought a bamboo - she wasn't impressed as it didn't have any flowers on it!

Felley Priory Garden

1 comment:

  1. I have stuck with single dahlias this year and want to use some like you in a 'hot' bed next year. So far I have red and yellow,

    ReplyDelete